Updated April 24, 2019

AJs body was found. His father lead police to it practically. The mother and father are charged with murder.

The initial story is below

This story is odd because the police are refusing to issue an Amber Alert. They believe this family has done something to the little boy. From all of the abuse allegations and protective services being involved with this family since the child was born, that’ll explain that.

Andrew was last seen at bedtime, about 9 p.m. Wednesday in the family home in the first block of Dole Avenue in the northwest suburb. After waking up Thursday morning and being unable to find him in the home, Andrew’s parents reported him missing.

Andrew has blond hair and was wearing a Mario sweatshirt and black sweatpants when he was last seen. He is about 3 feet 5 inches tall and weighs about 70 pounds.

Neighbors have said the father was out in front of his home earlier Saturday.

A neighbor said he had come out of the house and hugged a woman who came to lay flowers down near the home and Freund asked the neighbor to pray.

Investigators are following up on “hundreds of tips,’’ Crystal Lake police Chief Jim Black said Saturday. “This is still an ongoing investigation,’’ Black said.

Black said the evidence police have collected so far “doesn’t support an unknown offender, and there is no evidence to say an abduction occurred.”

Police are following up with anyone known to have had any contact with AJ or last saw him.

Black said police returned to the house Friday “based on new information (they) obtained,” and he couldn’t say whether they would go back to the house again but added, “If we need to go back in, we will.”

Black asked that the community continue to contact the police department with any information and to keep an eye out. Officers have covered hundreds of acres in and around the area, and will continue to do so.

“Things like this don’t happen in Crystal Lake,” Black said. “We take it very seriously. We are acting on everything that comes in at this point. We are hoping we can find him.”

I’m trying to figure out why mom didn’t check on her child any time throughout the night. She didn’t go in to kiss him on the forehead? He didn’t make a trip to the bathroom every night? I’ve had a 5 year old son before. I’ve always checked on him while he slept. Periodically I’d peek into his room to check on him. At least twice a night.

Dad is making a public statement talking directly to his child. He tells his child to come home son, we love you, you’re not in trouble. But if he truly thinks his son was abducted, WHY is he talking to the child and NOT the kidnapper? What does Andrew Sr think? Does he think that his 5 year old son is sitting in front of the television watching?

Mom looks like a junkie. I don’t trust her at All. When her child was born opiates were in his little body.,amp.html

Most of the time if one parent is a junkie, they are both junkies.

Sober minds don’t stay with drunken bodies.

The whereabouts of missing Crystal Lake boy A.J. Freund are still unknown, and DCFS says his younger brother is in the custody of the Department of Children and Family Services.

DCFS says the agency has been in contact with Freund’s parents since 2013 when the missing boy was born with opiates in his system amid allegations of neglect against his mother, JoAnn Cunningham.

In 2013, A.J. was placed into foster care when he was about a month old, records show. He was returned home about 18 months later, in June 2015.

In March 2018, a DCFS investigation deemed neglect allegations against both parents were unfounded, and the mother agreed to reenter drug treatment.

In December of last year, DCFS said allegations of abuse and neglect against the mother were unfounded.

Unfounded yes, hmmmm whatever.

So mom has lawyered up.

Sobbing and clutching a plastic carryout bag from the Goodwill store that apparently contained photos of her missing 5-year-old son, Andrew “A.J.” Freund, the boy’s mother, JoAnn Cunningham, appeared in public for the first time today.

Standing beside Cunningham Friday afternoon in front of the home where the boy was last seen at bedtime around 9 p.m. Wednesday, criminal defense attorney George Kililis told reporters Cunningham was left shaken after police searched the family’s downtown Crystal Lake home.

Kililis insisted Cunningham had nothing to do with her son’s disappearance. Police said Friday it was unlikely the child was abducted and that authorities were focusing the investigation on the family’s home.

It was uncertain whether police were considering Cunningham a suspect, Kililis said.

“She doesn’t know what happened to A.J. and had nothing to do with the disappearance of A.J.,” Kililis said. “She’s worried sick.”

Cunningam was emotional as Kililis spoke to a sea of reporters gathered in front of the family’s home on Dole Avenue.

The house has gone through a search and the house is in rough shape and everything inside it, and quite frankly, it’s very depressing to Ms. Cuinningham,” Kililis said. “She doesn’t want to stay here (so) for the next 48 hours she’s going to be staying with a friend.”

Less than an hour after the press conference ended, seven police squad cars pulled up to the house and officers went inside.

Kililis is only representing Cunningham and not the boy’s father, Andrew Freund Sr.

Earlier Friday, Freund Sr. told the media he was “extremely worried,” and begged for his son to come home. Meantime, investigators said there is no indication so far that A.J. was abducted, and they are focused on the family’s home.

Freund Sr. Friday afternoon said he has no idea where his son might be.

Joann And her lawyer

“We’re just extremely worried. If anybody knows anything about where Andrew Jr. is, please please contact the Crystal Lake Police Department. Let’s get him home,” he said. “A.J., please come home. We love you very much. You’re not in any trouble. We’re just worried to death. Please, please come home.”

Moments before he spoke to reporters, Andrew Freund Sr. briefly spoke with police investigators at their request.

Police also asked Freund to go back inside his home, so they could speak to him about the case, but Freund said he needed to go get his cell phone.

“I can’t. I can’t. I’ve got to take care of a few things, because I have no phone. I have no way of communicating,” Freund said. “If somebody’s trying to get a hold of me, I need to be able to receive calls. I’ve got my brother looking, all of his friends are looking. There’s no way to communicate with me right now, because I don’t have my phone.”

A day after 5-year-old Andrew “A.J.” Freund went missing from his home in northwest suburban Crystal Lake, police said there is no indication he was abducted, and did not walk away from his house. Their search is now focused on the family’s home.

“In reviewing all investigative information thus far, there is no indication that would lead police to believe that an abduction had taken place. At this point, the police department has no reason to believe there is a threat to the community. Information obtained currently has police focusing on the residence,” Crystal Lake Police Deputy Chief Tom Kotlowski stated Friday afternoon.

A.J.’s parents said they discovered him missing when they woke up Thursday morning.

While no officers were seen at the family’s house Friday morning, search teams used dogs to search the parents’ car on Thursday, and brought in bloodhounds to track his scent. Police said the canine teams only picked up A.J.’s scent inside the home, indicating he did not walk out of the house.

Police activated an Illinois Law Enforcement Alarm System mutual aid request on Thursday, bringing in assistance from 15 police agencies to help search the area on foot, and using four drones. Approximately 373 acres were covered during a foot search, and 497 acres were covered via aerial search by drones.

Around 6 p.m., the police department requested a sonar team to scan areas of Crystal Lake itself. Sonar technicians used cameras to search under the docks and piers along the entire shore length of Crystal Lake. They also utilized side scan sonar techniques within the lake itself off the main beach area.

The sonar teams concluded their search around 10 p.m. without locating anything.

The FBI also has joined the search, but said Crystal Lake Police are leading the investigation.

A.J. is about 3 feet 5 inches tall, weighs about 70 pounds, and has short blond hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a blue Mario sweatshirt and black sweatpants.

Neighbors said the family’s home has been in bad condition for a while. They also said the couple often fought and argued, and police officers have been called to the family’s home several times.

“I didn’t sleep. I doubt very many neighbors slept during the night. I just couldn’t sleep thinking about it. It’s a 5-year-old that we all know, even if not personally over at our homes. He’s been over trick-or-treating and things like that. Your heart just breaks. It’s a 5-year-old. I mean, where he is he?” Crystal Lake resident Kerry Sivertsen said.

I’m telling you, mom just looks bad. This story ain’t right because somebody is lying. Anytime you have substance abuse and child abuse all things are possible when a child allegedly goes missing. The only person I’m suspicious of is the one with the lawyer. Perhaps she hired a lawyer because she knows exactly what her son’s father did, and she hired a lawyer to protect her own interest. Also who is going to pay for this lawyer? Looking at the house, you can tell it’s quite dilapidated and in need of some serious repair, so if she does not have money to repair her home with her soon-to-be newborn will be arriving and her five-year-old child had been living, why does she have money to lawyer up? That makes absolutely no sense. Why would you not fix up your home, but you would pay to hire a lawyer when your child goes missing? Does that make any sense to you?