Why even adopt this child? She would have still been alive if this couple had left her alone. The reason I chose to put Step Father initially Is because this man had no blood ties to this child.  He has no emotional connection. I’m fully aware of the technical terms however for when you adopt someone. But to me,  He doesn’t deserve to be called Father. 

When I’m writing a story and the male involved is indeed her biological father, then I’ll place that. 

From CNN 

The adoptive father of a Texas 3-year-old who had been missing for two and a half weeks admitted to police that he disposed of the child’s body after she choked on her milk, according to a probable cause affidavit released Tuesday.

Previously, Wesley Mathews had told authorities he made Sherin Mathews stand outside because she wouldn’t drink her milk, and she disappeared.

Authorities confirmed Tuesday that the body of a child found Sunday in a culvert beneath a road was that of Sherin Mathews. The cause of death was still pending, the Richardson Police Department posted on its verified Facebook page, citing the Dallas County Medical Examiners Office. 

Wesley Mathews has been charged with injury to a child, a felony punishable with a maximum 99 years in prison, Richardson police said. He was being held on $1 million bond.

The affidavit states Wesley Mathews and his attorney visited the Richardson Police Department on Monday afternoon and requested an interview.

The father told a detective that he had been trying to get Sherin to drink her milk in the garage, and she wouldn’t listen to him, the affidavit states. She then began drinking the milk. 

Read the affidavit below


“Wesley Mathews then physically assisted the 3-year-old in drinking the milk,” the affidavit states. “The 3-year-old began to choke. She was coughing and her breathing slowed. Eventually Wesley Mathews no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died.”

The events happened on October 7, the affidavit states.

Father’s original story

Mathews reported Sherin missing after 8 a.m. that same day. He initially claimed he had left her outside around 3 a.m. as punishment “because she wouldn’t drink her milk,” according to a probable cause document relating to an earlier charge leveled against the father.

Sherin was ordered to stand near a tree, approximately 100 feet away from the home and across an alleyway, the father told police. He went back outside at about 3:15 a.m. and she was gone, the document says.

Mathews told police he knew coyotes had been seen in the alley where he told her to stay, the affidavit said. Roughly five hours passed before Mathews contacted authorities, police said, and one of Mathews’ vehicles left the residence between the time Mathews said Sherin disappeared and the time he called police.

That evening, Mathews was arrested and charged with abandoning or endangering a child, “as a result of his decision to place her outside a place of safety,” Richardson police posted to Facebook. He was released on bond, according to police. 

Investigators combed Sherin’s neighborhood and the surrounding area with canine teams and helicopters and executed a search warrant at Mathews’ home on October 10, police said.

An attorney for Sherin’s mother did not respond to CNN’s requests for comment.

More details ?

On Sunday, 15 days after Sherin vanished, officers and search dogs discovered a small child’s body in a culvert near Spring Valley and Bowser roads, less than a mile from the family’s home in a suburb north of Dallas.

A police spokesman told reporters that investigators have no reason to believe that the body belongs to another missing child. They are awaiting positive identification and for an autopsy to determine what killed the child.

“Worst news finding child’s body,” Richardson Police Chief Jimmy Spivey tweeted Sunday. But if the recovered body is Sherin’s, the chief said he’s “happy [it has been] recovered so properly laid to rest.”

He also vowed to bring those responsible “to justice.”

Mathews was arrested on child abandonment and endangerment charges the day Sherin went missing but had been released on bail.

As part of his bail condition, he was required to surrender his passport and wear an electronic monitoring bracelet so authorities could track him at all times, according to the Dallas Morning News

Earlier Monday, Mathews and his wife, Sini, attended a court hearing to determine whether they could regain custody of their biological daughter.

The 4-year-old had been taken into custody by child protective services and placed in foster care after Sherin was reported missing. The judge postponed the hearing until Nov. 13 to give Mathews time to hire a civil attorney, a spokeswoman for CPS told the Associated Press“We do have the names of some relatives who have expressed interest in taking care of her,” said the spokeswoman, Marissa Gonzales. “We can begin looking into those relatives, but it is entirely up to the judge where she is placed.”

After the hearing, the father’s attorney, Rafael De La Garza, told the Dallas Morning News that his client was “mourning the death of his child.” De La Garza did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Tuesday.

Sherin’s disappearance transfixed the Dallas area.

Her father previously told investigators that he looked outside 15 minutes after he sent Sherin into the alley but she was gone, according to police affidavits. 

Not yet too worried, the father said, he then did a load of laundry, according to the affidavit. He waited until after sunrise before he reported the disappearance to police.

Detectives and FBI agents searched Mathews’s house midweek and subsequently announced that someone left in the family’s SUV about 4 a.m. the day she disappeared and returned home within the hour.

Police said Sherin’s mother was asleep during the incident and has not been charged. Her attorney says she has cooperated with the police in trying to help identify Sherin’s body.

Meanwhile, police scoured Richardson, a suburb of 100,000 about 15 miles north of Dallas.

They brought in search dogs, flew over Sherin’s neighborhood in helicopters and canvassed door to door for the 22-pound girl last seen wearing a pink top, black pajama bottoms and pink flip flops. Mathews and his wife adopted Sherin about two years ago from an orphanage in India, said Sgt. Kevin Perlich, a spokesman for the Richardson Police Department. Mathews told police Sherin was malnourished and had to be on a special diet to gain weight. She had to be fed whenever she was awake, Perlich said, and wasn’t cooperating when her father tried to feed her.

“So that was the frustration [Mathews] was experiencing that night,” Perlich said. “But, of course, we’re working to verify all of that.”